Tax Commissioner Responsibilities
The tax commissioner is an officer established by the Constitution and elected to serve the citizens of Athens-Clarke County. Responsibilities include:
- Preparation of the digest
- Performing all functions relating to billing, collecting, disbursing, and accounting for ad valorem taxes collected in the county
- Receiving tax returns and applications for homestead filed by taxpayers
- Serving as an agent of the state revenue commissioner for the registration of motor vehicles and mobile homes
- The tax commissioner and staff are dedicated to providing prompt, professional, and courteous service to the taxpayers of Athens-Clarke County
2023 Tax and Tag Office Holiday Closures
- Monday, January 16, 2023, Martin Luther King Jr Holiday
- Friday, April 21, 2023, Earth Day
- Monday, May 29, 2023, Memorial Day
- Monday, June 19, 2023, Juneteenth
- Tuesday, July 4, 2023, Independence Day
- Monday, September 4, 2023, Labor Day
- Monday, October 9, 2023, Indigenous Peoples' Day
- Friday, November 10, 2023, Veterans' Day
- Thursday, November 23, 2023, Thanksgiving
- Friday, November 24, 2023, Thanksgiving
- Wednesday, December 13, 2023, Holiday Luncheon 11:30-1:30
- Monday, December 25, 2023, Christmas Eve
- Tuesday, December 26, 2023, Christmas
- Monday, January 1, 2024, New Year’s Day
- Can I pay property taxes online by eCheck?
- Are there any additional costs if I don't pay my property tax bill by the due date?
- What is TAVT?
- Will I still have to renew the registration every year?
- Is the “birthday tax” going away?
- Does the title tax apply to new AND used cars?
- When and where do I pay the title tax?
- Will I have to pay the title tax all at once? Can I make payments?
- What if I purchase the vehicle from a Georgia-registered dealer?
- What if I purchase a vehicle from someone other than a dealer? Like from a friend or neighbor?
- How much will the title tax be?