Replacement Titles

A replacement certificate of title may be needed if your Georgia Certificate of Title has been lost, stolen, misplaced, or mutilated.

Replacement Requirements

Replacement certificate of titles may be obtained by submitting the following to the Motor Vehicle Division or the county tag office:

  • MV-1 Application - Application must be in the same name(s) as the title that has been lost, stolen, or mutilated. A current odometer reading is required on all applications where an odometer declaration is required. If there is more than one owner, each owner must sign their name individually. A current valid Georgia Drivers License or Georgia ID is required when applying for a replacement title in person. If requesting replacement by mail because owner(s) has/have moved out of state, a copy of a current valid out of state Drivers License issued to owner(s) must accompany any request sent in by mail and must be accompanied by an original signed MV-1 title application form.

  • T-4 Lien Release - An T-4 Lien Release must be provided from any lien holder on the original certificate of title. Note: If a lien is 10 years old or older or the vehicle in more than 12 years old and the lien is 4 years old, a lien release is not required. This however, does not apply to mobile homes, cranes, or vehicles that weigh more than 10,000 pounds. Any new lien must be shown on the application (MV-1) in the space provided.

  • The application fee for a replacement title is $8.

Legends on Replacement Titles 

The replacement title will be issued bearing the following replacement legend: "This is a replacement title and may be subject to the rights of the person under the original certificate."