Name Change / Divorce


In order for a Georgia Certificate of Title to be issued in the name of the person awarded a vehicle after divorce, the following documents must be submitted to the Motor Vehicle Division or county tag office:

  • Title Application - The application must be completed in detail, typed in full, and signed by the applicant.
  • Transfer Document - A valid title must be provided.
  • Divorce Decree - A certified copy of the divorce decree awarding the vehicle to the applicant must be provided. If the final decree does not list the vehicle, an affidavit from the attorney representing the applicant should be submitted stating that the vehicle was awarded to the applicant. This statement must be on the attorney's letterhead stationery, be signed by the attorney, and include a description of the vehicle (e.g., year, make, and VIN number).
  • Processing Fee - The fee is $18.