Weapons Carry License
Applying for a Weapons Carry License for the First Time
If you are applying for a weapons carry license for the first time, you are required to schedule an appointment with the Probate Court.
To Schedule An Appointment:
- Call the Probate Court at 762-400-6326.
- Leave a message stating that you need to schedule an appointment to submit an application for a weapons carry license. This message must also include your name and your phone number. Please speak clearly and slowly on the message so that Probate Court will be able to return your call in a timely manner.
- Probate Court will return your call to confirm an appointment date and time. Note that Probate Court returns calls in the order in which the messages are received.
What You Will Need to Bring to Your Appointment:
- Completed application packet. Download and print the application packet (PDF). If you are not able to print documents, call 762-400-6326 or email email@example.com to request that one be mailed to you. Fill out the application packet but do not sign the signature field on page 2 of the packet. You will complete the signature during your appointment.
- Valid driver’s license or state-issued ID card showing a Clarke County address
- Check or money order (no cards or cash) in the amount of $73.25 addressed to Athens-Clarke County Probate Court for license fee. Note that the license fee increased to $73.25 effective August, 2, 2020.
- Separate check or money order (no cards or cash) in the amount of $5.00 addressed to the Sheriff’s Office for fingerprinting
- If you were born outside of the United States you will also need one of the following documents to support your application:
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Birth Certificate for Applicant and/or Applicant’s Parent
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization
Renewing an Existing Weapons Carry License (Clarke County Only)
- Renewal applications must be made by mail.
- Probate Court is able to renew Clarke County Weapons Carry Licenses only.
To Renew a Weapons Carry License
- Download and print the application packet (PDF). If you are not able to print documents, call 762-400-6326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request that one be mailed to you.
- Have your signature witnessed by a notary public in the space reserved on the form for a clerk’s signature.
- Place your completed and notarized application in an envelope with the following forms of payment:
- Check or money in the amount of $30.00 addressed to Athens-Clarke County Probate Court for renewal fee
- Check or money in the amount of $5.00 addressed to Clarke County Sheriff’s Office for local background check.
- Mail your application and forms of payment to:
Athens-Clarke County Probate Court
ATTN: Weapons Carry License Renewal
325 E. Washington St., Suite 200
Athens, GA 30601
- According to the Governor’s Executive Order effective May 8, 2020, if your license expired between February 13, 2020 and August 12, 2020, you have 120 days (not the statutory 30 days) after the expiration date on the face of the license to apply for a renewal license. The renewal deadline for licenses expiring later will also be extended if the judicial emergency period is extended.
- All fees must be paid and the application must be processed at the time of applying. Acceptable payment is cash or check, check or money order preferred WE DO NOT ACCEPT CARDS.
- All applications must have the FBI and the GBI criminal background check. The time it takes to receive the background checks from these agencies will vary. The average time is at least four to six weeks, but is dependent upon each applicant’s criminal history. A weapons carry license will not be issued until all background checks are received and reviewed by the judge.
- Licenses are valid for five years. You must surrender your old license at the time of application. We accept cash, money orders, or personal checks made payable to Probate Court as forms of payment.
- Renewal applications may be filed up to 90 days prior to the license expiration or within 30 days after the expiration date.