Office of Professional Standards
Lieutenant Jeffery Johnson
Phone: (762) 400-7136
Sergeant Stewart Heard
Phone: (762) 400-7340
What are the duties of Professional Standards?
Professional Standards reports directly to the Chief of Police and is responsible for oversight and management of employee conduct. As part of its duties, Professional Standards investigates complaints of misconduct, reviews use-of-force incidents, reviews vehicle pursuits, and monitors for trends or patterns in policing activities.
How do you file a complaint?
You can file a complaint if you are dissatisfied with any aspect of employee conduct. However, Professional Standards does not investigate matters that are better resolved in a court system such as disputing the cause for a citation or for an arrest. Ways you may file a complaint:
- Come in person to the Athens-Clarke County Police Department, 3035 Lexington Road, Athens, Georgia 30605 (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
- Complete the ACCPD Online Complaint Form
- Telephone: 706-613-3330
- Contact the on-duty Watch Commander: 706-613-3345
How is your complaint handled?
- Upon receipt, your complaint will be reviewed and appropriately assigned for follow up. You could be contacted and may be asked to sit for a recorded interview and/or provide additional information concerning your complaint.
- The investigator may interview witnesses and involved officers to obtain statements and identify additional evidence.
- Information and evidence will be analyzed and a conclusion reached.
- You will be notified when the complaint process is completed, normally within 30 - 45 days.
- We accept ALL complaints of employee misconduct, even anonymous.
- Please make your complaint as soon as possible.
- The process for investigating your complaint will be determined based on the nature of the allegations.
- If your complaint alleges that you were injured as part of police actions, please seek immediate medical attention and take photographs as soon as possible.