The TSPLOST 2023 Advisory Committee is reviewing projects submitted by organizations and individuals for consideration as part of a possible TSPLOST 2023 program for Athens-Clarke County. The first set of public comments will be sent to them on Oct. 15. Read on...
General TSPLOST 2023 Information
Georgia law allows local communities to use Transportation Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (TSPLOST) proceeds for transportation purposes if approved by voters in a referendum. General guidelines for projects are below, see Official Code of Georgia (O.C.G.A) 48-8-260(5) for more details.
- 'Transportation purposes' includes roads, bridges, public transit, rails, airports, buses, and all accompanying infrastructure and services necessary to provide access to these facilities.
- Roads, streets, sidewalks, bicycle paths, and bridge purposes such as:
- acquisition of rights of way;
- renovation and improvement, including resurfacing;
- relocation of utilities;
- improvement of surface-water drainage; and/or
- patching, leveling, milling, widening, shoulder preparation, culvert repair, and other repairs necessary for their preservation.
- Stormwater and drainage capital outlay projects, in conjunction with transportation projects
These transportation projects would otherwise be paid for with General Fund and property tax revenues. Governments cannot use TSPLOST funds to pay for operating expenses such as personnel salaries or ongoing expenses.
If voters approve a TSPLOST 2023 program on May 24, 2022, sales tax collection will likely begin on January 1, 2023. The TSPLOST 2023 sales tax is anticipated to continue at 1% as long as an intergovernmental agreement is made with the Town of Bogart and City of Winterville. If so, the sales tax rate would not increase, but remain at 8% as it is currently.
A group of 22 residents, the TSPLOST 2023 Advisory Committee, is responsible for recommending a list of candidate projects for adoption by the Mayor and Commission to be voted on by residents. The committee will be selected by the Mayor and Commission by July 2021 and will be listed on this website once named.