26 - 2 General Intersections
- Sub Project 1: Tallassee Rd/Whitehead Rd
- This project is complete.
- Sub Project 2: South Milledge at Whitehall Rd Phase I and Design of Phase II
- Project Details: The Preliminary Plans for the intersection improvements at Whitehall Road and South Milledge Avenue were approved by the M&C on April 1, 2014. Construction of Phase I was initiated in March 2015 and completed in July 2015. On January 2, 2018 M&C approved the Preliminary Plans for Phase II. Phase II of the roadway improvement project at the intersection of S Milledge Avenue and Whitehall Road. The project replaces the current intersection with a single lane roundabout with sidewalks, divider islands, and stormwater improvements. Funding for the construction of Phase II is being provided by TSPLOST 2018.
- Project Updates: The contractor completed pavement, temporary markings, granite columns and fencing work. The contractor plans on finishing the remaining work including final pavement markings, lighting and grassing, bringing the project to completion by October 2019. Dedication ceremony is scheduled for September 23, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
- Sub project 3: Hawthorne Avenue at Oglethorpe Avenue
- Project Details: This sub-project will include rebuilding the intersection to include flashing yellow arrow signal heads for the left turn movements and back plates on all signal heads to improve visibility, as well as permissive left turn prohibitions on movements with high crash experience during peak hour traffic. It will also include re-striping the pavement to improve sight distance for the northbound and southbound lanes and to include one receiving lane for northbound traffic. This re-striping will also create a short two-way left turn lane to accommodate mid-block left turns into the YMCA and other driveways along Hawthorne Avenue just north of Oglethorpe Avenue.
- Project Updates: M&C approved the Project Concept on July 2, 2019. Design to begin Fall 2019.
Key Project Statistics
- Designer: Varies by Sub-Project
- Contractor: Varies by Sub-Project
- Program Manager: Jacobs Engineering
- Sponsor: Transportation and Public Works
- Original SPLOST Budget: $6,767,239
- Total Cost: TBD
- Completion Date: TBD
*as of 10/15/2019