Foster a Pet
Steps to Foster an Animal from Athens-Clarke County’s Adoption Center
- Fill out our foster application
- Once you complete the application you will be taken to a link to schedule a time to come into the Adoption Center to complete the process. All fosters must be pre-scheduled.
- Anyone with resident dogs or children will need to bring them to the appointment so we can have a meet and greet and make sure it’s a good match for everyone.
- Provide an idea what the home is like (low/high energy, active/calm) and what you want to do with the dog (hike/run/short walks, Netflix and chill, out and about). All of this info helps us find a good match.
- Submit a video of your residence to our Foster Coordinator (email@example.com)
- The Georgia Department of Agriculture also requires a home check, so all interested fosters must submit a short video of their home as well. This should be a short tour that shows where the foster pet will be housed. Please start outside with the house or apartment number shown.
- The video must include footage of your thermostat, and footage of running water from your faucet to provide proof of working utilities.
Couch Crashers is a collaborative program to engage our community to foster and give the pets in our Adoption Center a much-needed break from kennel life for the weekend.
All pets must be rabies vaccinated and spayed/neutered (if age-appropriate), and off their stray hold period in order to be eligible for foster.
Note: We do not typically send small dogs for Couch Crashers, as they are our most adoptable pets and do not typically need a foster.
- All foster pickups and drop offs are by appointment only.
- All pets must remain in the home over closure holiday dates, as the Adoption Center is CLOSED.
- All people and dogs living in the home are required to come to the appointment to ensure a good match.
- ACC Animal Services supplies all fosters with a crate/carrier, food, bowls, toys, and a leash and collar.
How to Participate
Submit a foster application that includes a short home video of where the foster pet will be housed.
706-613-3540 extension 7793