Past Information : Project 14 Lexington Hwy Corridor Improvements
The Lexington Highway Corridor Improvement Project is seeking to provide infrastructure improvements to help improve traffic flow, pedestrian access, and bicycle facilities between Johnson Road (east of the Athens Loop) and Southeast Clarke Park. (Note: There is also a similar project for Atlanta Highway).
Mayor & Commission will consider for approval the Lexington Highway User Group Priority Project Concepts during their regularly scheduled meeting on September 7.
- Video: Watch presentation at the Mayor & Commission Work Session on August 12, 2021
- Video: Watch Public Engagement Video
- Video: Watch presentation at the Mayor & Commission Work Session on May 26, 2020
- PowerPoint presentation (PDF)
- Potential Project List (PDF)
- Video: Watch corridor study presentation at the Mayor & Commission Work Session on July 9, 2019
- Video: Watch adoption of corridor study at the Mayor & Commission Regular Session on August 6, 2019.
- The full Atlanta Highway & Lexington Road Corridor Plan can be found at “ Connect Athens”
- The full Bike/Pedestrian Master Plan can be found at “Athens in Motion”
- The full Report by the Urban Land Institute for the Strategy to Redevelop and Revitalize the Lexington Road Corridor can be found at “ULI – Lexington Road ”
February – April 18, 2021
In order to help identify the community’s greatest needs for transportation improvements in this corridor, several in-person events were held. Use the links below to find out more about the project and obtain results from the Public Engagement process.
- Online story map
- Lexington Highway Public Engagement Survey Results
- Lexington Highway Public Engagement Summary Report
Several In-Person Events and Drop-in Events were Held
- Sat., March 13 - Athens Farmers Market at Bishop Park (8:00 AM - Noon) - Pop-up booth
- Sat., March 13 - Lowe's at 3341 Lexington Highway (9:00 AM - Noon) - Pop-up booth
- Sat., March 20 - Cofer's Home & Garden Showplace - 1145 Mitchell Bridge Road (9:00 AM - Noon) - Pop-up booth
- Sat., March 20 - Downtown - College Square Plaza (Noon - 2:00 PM) - Pop-up booth
- Mon., March 22 - Athens-Ben Epps Airport - 1010 Ben Epps Drive (6:00-8:00 PM) - Drop-in open house
- Wed., March 24 - ACC Extension Office - 275 Cleveland Road (6:00-8:00 PM) - Drop-in open house [Traductores de español disponibles]
- Thurs., March 25 - ACC Extension Office - 275 Cleveland Road (6:00-8:00 PM) - Drop-in open house
- Sat., March 27 - Athens-Ben Epps Airport - 1010 Ben Epps Drive (10:00 AM - Noon) - Drop-in open house [Traductores de español disponibles]
Immediate Impact Project
Traffic engineering completed installation of 19 airport way finding signs to better direct customers of Athens Ben Epps Airport providing drivers the most direct routes to the airport entrance.
The Airport and Traffic Engineering collaborated to develop appropriate locations to best serve the Athens Ben Epps Airport and surrounding community. The wayfinding signage not only serves to help customers find the airport in the most direct route, it helps reduce confused or lost drivers on the surrounding roadway systems.