Magistrate Court Clerk’s Office re-opens to the public on Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 10:00 AM with reduced capacity due to social distancing. Please be patient when waiting for service. Masks are required to enter the Clerk’s Office.
All bond hearings will take place at 8:30 am by video conference in the Magistrate Court courtroom.
Some civil cases will resume on Monday, June 1, 2020 at 10:00 A.M. with reduced capacity in the courtroom. Mask are required to enter the court and will be provided by the Sheriff, if needed.
Weddings are not being scheduled at this time.
You may call the Clerk between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM at 706 613 3310 ext. 5.
The mission of the Magistrate Court is to deliver justice to the citizens of Athens-Clarke County by ruling on disputed claims or approving mutual settlements in civil cases as well as serving as the court of entry into the criminal justice system. Jurisdiction for the Court is found in Georgia law at O.C.G.A. 15-10-2. Further information may be found online in the Georgia Code or at your local library and in the Uniform Rules of the Magistrate Court.
The Magistrate Court conducts hearings in the following cases:
- First Appearance Hearings (Bond Hearings) every day during the week at the courthouse and at the Clarke County Jail on weekends and holidays.
- Arraignments and probation violations in misdemeanor bad check cases.
- Preliminary hearings.
- Pre-warrant application hearings.
- Dispossessory (eviction) cases.
- Civil claims involving funds up to $15,000.00.
- Abandoned Motor Vehicles.
- Personal Property Foreclosures.