Built in 1910 by Monroe Bowers ("Pink") Morton, the Morton Theatre is one of the first, and the oldest surviving vaudeville theatres in the United States, uniquely built, owned, and operated by an African-American.
In its heyday the Morton hosted early acts such Butterbeans and Susie, Blind Willie McTell, Curley Weaver, Cab Calloway, and Bessie Smith. The theatre also experienced the dawn of the silver screen as a movie house.
Today the theatre operates as a community space and rental facility hosting live theatre, public ceremonies, concerts, church services, weddings, dance performances, film screenings, and so much more. Though the building still has the charm and classical elegance of a century old theatre, the amenities have been updated and include a state-of-the-art sound and lighting system in the performance space.
The Morton Theatre is a unit of the Arts Division of ACC Leisure Services Department, and is supported in part by the Morton Theatre Corporation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.