Property taxes are due Tuesday, October 20, 2020.
There is a drop box outside of the Tag Office where you can drop off your payments. When dropping off property tax payments, please write “property tax” on the outside of the envelope. We only accept check, cashier’s check or money orders at the drop box. We are not accepting cash. We are unable to process payments for property taxes at the Tag Office, therefore, you do not need to wait in line at the Tag Office.
The 2020 tax bills for real estate and personal property were mailed in August and are due on or before October 20. Read on...
Tax Commissioner Responsibilities
The tax commissioner is an officer established by the Constitution and elected to serve the citizens of Athens-Clarke County. Responsibilities include:
- Preparation of the digest
- Performing all functions relating to billing, collecting, disbursing, and accounting for ad valorem taxes collected in the county
- Receiving tax returns and applications for homestead filed by taxpayers
- Serving as an agent of the state revenue commissioner for the registration of motor vehicles and mobile homes
- The tax commissioner and staff are dedicated to providing prompt, professional, and courteous service to the taxpayers of Athens-Clarke County
2020 Tax and Tag Office Holiday Closures
- Monday, January 20, 2020, Martin Luther King Jr Holiday
- Monday, May 25, 2020, Memorial Day
- Friday, July 3, 2020, Independence Day
- Monday, September 7, 2020, Labor Day
- Thursday, November 26, 2020, Thanksgiving
- Friday, November 27, 2020, Thanksgiving
- Thursday, December 24, 2020, Christmas Eve
- Friday, December 25, 2020, Christmas
- Friday, January 1, 2021, New Year’s Day