Project 16: Prince Avenue Corridor Improvements
Prince Avenue 3-Lane Pilot Project Installation Update
The Athens-Clarke County Unified Government (ACCGov) installed a pilot project beginning in mid-September to change the locally-controlled area of Prince Avenue from a four-lane vehicle road with two vehicle lanes in each direction to a three-lane vehicle road with one vehicle lane in each direction, a center turning lane, two separated bike lanes, and other safety features. The pilot project runs for approximately a half mile from just east of North Milledge Avenue to Pulaski Street.
An interactive map provides maps of the corridor; details and photos of the new features; before-and-after comparisons of sections of the roadway; project history; and other corridor information.
A 60-day study period ended on November 23.
A Mayor and Commission Work Session is scheduled for Tuesday, December 6 at 5:00 PM that will discuss the results of the pilot project and information about reversing the project or making it permanent. The meeting will take place at City Hall and will be streamed live online and on ACTV Cable Channel 180.
For more information, visit www.accgov.com/prince.
TSPLOST Project 16 Details
Prince Avenue Corridor Improvements (TSPLOST 2018 Project 16) includes funding for specific improvements to the Prince Avenue Corridor that are to be approved by Mayor and Commission.
Potential improvements include, but are not limited to:
- Landscaped/concrete median(s)
- Sidewalk & pedestrian area upgrades
- Mid-block crosswalks
- Separated bike lanes
- Intersection, roadway & signal changes
- June 14, 2022 Work Session Presentation on the Proposed Concept Plan on TSPLOST Project #16
- The full Report by GDOT on Prince Avenue Road Safety can be found at GDOT - Prince Avenue
- Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) - Approved Concept Report from 2019 for their proposed project on Prince Avenue.
- Prince Avenue Corridor Study from 2012.
- One Hundred Prince Avenue Traffic Impact Analysis (2017) and comments
- The full Bike/Pedestrian Master Plan can be found at “Athens in Motion”
- Georgia Bicycle Safety Action Plan 2018
- Prince Corridor Study
- June 8, 2021 Work Session Presentation to the Mayor and Commission on TSPLOST Project #16
TSPLOST Project Statement
Prince Avenue Corridor Improvements includes funding for specific improvements to the Prince Avenue Corridor that are to be approved by Mayor and Commission. Improvements eligible for the funding include, but are not limited to, landscaped/concrete median(s), additional sidewalks, multi-use trail, separated bike lanes, and intersection improvements at the intersections of N. Milledge Avenue, King Avenue, and Park Avenue/Talmadge Drive.
|TSPLOST 2018 Overall Project 16 Budget:|
|TSPLOST 2018 Overall Project 16 Budget||
|Estimated Annual Operating Impact||