The ACC Arrest Record Restriction Event takes place virtually on Sat., November 20 from 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM. The event is free for up to 100 individuals who pre-register by October 29 and retrieve their paper restriction file between November 1-15. Read on...
Municipal Court Operations Update - July 23, 2020
- The Municipal Court of Athens-Clarke County schedule until further notice:
- When court is in session: Municipal Court is open to the public
- When court is not in session: 8:00 AM - 12:30 PM; 1:30-5:00 PM
- The Clarke County Sheriff’s Office will screen individuals prior to their entry to the Courthouse. The screening will consist of questions related to COVID-19 exposure and/or symptoms. The Sheriff’s Office will conduct contactless temperature checks during the screening. Anyone with Municipal Court business who does not meet the screening protocol will not be allowed to enter the Courthouse and will be directed to call Municipal Court for directions.
- Members of the public will be required to wear masks within the Municipal Court of Athens-Clarke County. All other courtroom participants will be required to wear masks, unless they are in a location where they can maintain appropriate social distancing.
- In order to maintain social distancing, and provide a healthy court experience, court dockets will be restricted to 20 cases for any one court session. The majority of court sessions will be scheduled throughout the day at 9:00 AM, 10:30 AM, 1:30 PM, and 3:00 PM.
- Due to the restricted court dockets it will be important for Defendants to arrive at their court hearing on the specific date and time for which their case is scheduled, and in a timely manner. It is recommended that Defendants arrive at the courthouse 30 minutes prior to their court session to ensure completion of the screening process prior to the beginning of the court session.
- In order to maintain social distancing in the courtroom, people should not come to the courthouse unnecessarily. Defendants should refrain from bringing family members to their court hearing, unless they are a necessary witness.
- Defendants who have concerns about attending their court session should contact the Municipal Court Clerk’s Office to inquire about Changing a Court Date or attending their court session via our Video Conferencing Court Option.
- All court sessions will be available for viewing by the public via livestream on YouTube. The livestream will only be available during active court sessions.
- Defendants should contact Municipal Court if their contact information has changed or if they have questions about a case. Municipal Court’s phone number is 706-613-3690, but email communication is preferred. Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with full name, complete mailing address, and a telephone number for receipt of text messages.
- Contact information can also be submitted through the Court Date Reminder System enrollment form available at www.accgov.com/municipalcourt.
- Fines can be paid online at www.athensgatix.com or by calling 855-873-9708.
Municipal Court of Athens-Clarke County
The Municipal Court of Athens-Clarke County is the busiest court in Athens-Clarke County. Each year, the Court handles approximately 35,000 cases.
The Court has jurisdiction over all County ordinance violations; over all State misdemeanor traffic violations, including DUI; and over State misdemeanor crimes of Theft by Shoplifting, Possession of Less Than an Ounce of Marijuana, and Underage Possession of Alcohol.
The Court also handles Domestic Partnership filings and does perform weddings.
To contact the Municipal Court, please call 706-613-3690.
PAY MUNICIPAL COURT FINES ONLINE or by phone toll free at 1-855-873-9708.