EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1, 2023, MUNICIPAL COURT WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT PERSONAL CHECKS AS PAYMENT
Municipal Court Operations Update - March 7, 2022
- Members of the public will be required to wear masks while seated in the gallery/audience area. For those who are in in front of the bar (and at the bench area) masks will be optional. Make sure to bring a mask to the courtroom just in case there is a situation where a mask becomes necessary.
- Due to the restricted court dockets it will be important for Defendants to arrive at their court hearing on the specific date and time for which their case is scheduled, and in a timely manner.
- In order to maintain social distancing in the courtroom, people should not come to the courthouse unnecessarily. Defendants should refrain from bringing family members to their court hearing, unless they are a necessary witness.
- Defendants who have concerns about attending their court session should contact the Municipal Court Clerk’s Office to inquire about Changing a Court Date or attending their court session via our Video Conferencing Court Option.
- All court sessions will be available for viewing by the public via livestream on YouTube. The livestream will only be available during active court sessions.
- Defendants should contact Municipal Court if their contact information has changed or if they have questions about a case. Municipal Court’s phone number is 706-613-3690, but email communication is preferred. Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org with full name, complete mailing address, and a telephone number for receipt of text messages.
- Contact information can also be submitted through the Court Date Reminder System enrollment form available at www.accgov.com/municipalcourt.
- Fines can be paid online at www.athensgatix.com or by calling 855-873-9708.
Municipal Court of Athens-Clarke County
The Municipal Court of Athens-Clarke County is the busiest court in Athens-Clarke County. Each year, the Court handles approximately 35,000 cases.
The Court has jurisdiction over all County ordinance violations; over all State misdemeanor traffic violations, including DUI; and over State misdemeanor crimes of Theft by Shoplifting, Possession of Less Than an Ounce of Marijuana, and Underage Possession of Alcohol.
The Court also handles Domestic Partnership filings and does perform weddings.
To contact the Municipal Court, please call 706-613-3690.
PAY MUNICIPAL COURT FINES ONLINE or by phone toll free at 1-855-873-9708.