How do I apply for LIHWAP?

Local Community Action Agencies are responsible for administering the program.  The ACC Public Utilities Department does not accept applications, determine eligibility, or distribute payments.  Action, Inc. covers the Athens-Clarke County area.  

Customers must contact Action, Inc. to schedule an in-person appointment.  Currently, there is no online option for submitting a LIHWAP application.   

The following documents are required to complete the application:

  • Proof of income for all individuals age 18 or older living in the home for the past 30 days
  • Social Security cards for every person who lives in the home
  • Most current water bill, which must be dated within 30 days of the appointment date
  • Driver's license or state-issued ID for the applicant and all household members who are 60 years of age and older
  • Verification of U.S. citizenship or immigration status 

Failure to bring the required documentation above may result in your appointment being rescheduled.  

See the informational flyer from Ninth District Opportunity for more information

Show All Answers

1. What is the Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program?
2. How do I qualify for LIHWAP?
3. How do I apply for LIHWAP?
4. Can I apply for LIHWAP through the ACC Public Utilities Department or Water Business Office?
5. When can I apply for LIHWAP assistance?
6. What do I need to bring to my appointment with Action, Inc. to apply for assistance?
7. How much monetary assistance can I receive?
8. How long will it take to receive my benefits if I'm eligible?
9. How often can I apply for assistance from LIHWAP?
10. Can LIHWAP help with my energy bill?