Stormwater Infrastructure Work to Begin May 13 on Wall St. (1st) & College Ave. (2nd) Intersection Areas
Athens-Clarke County Transportation and Public Works crews will work on two areas this summer to install key stormwater structures in and around the intersections of Wall Street and College Avenue. These are the same crews who finished the Phase 1 Pre-Dig ahead of schedule last year, so they are familiar with the area and the challenges already.
The work is taking place during the slower summer months because it is more disruptive due to its location around the intersections. After these areas are complete, much of the remaining stormwater work will be parallel to the street and can be accomplished with fewer disruptions.
Key notes about the upcoming stormwater infrastructure work:
- Work begins May 13 on Wall Street and, once completed, will move over to the College Avenue area
- ~3 month effort to finish both areas
- Work takes place Monday – Thursday, 6:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (with some Friday morning patching)
- Wall Street will be closed to vehicles during work in its area with some lane / parking restrictions on Clayton Street when work moves to the intersection
- Lane and parking restrictions on College Avenue / Clayton Street when work moves to its area
- Lane and parking restrictions will run Monday - Thursday and some Friday mornings. Areas will reopen for Friday - Sunday, except Wall St., which will remain closed until its work is complete.
- Two ACC Transportation & Public Works crews working together on each area
As noted above, some private utility work may occur in areas other than this to address their conflicts as they can schedule it, although much of this work would be of minimal disruption.