What's Next: Georgia Power Work Begins May 11
Beginning May 11, Georgia Power will begin extensive work on 14 underground power vaults and manholes in the area in order to adjust their elevations for the new streetscape and change out covers. Some are located in the sidewalks, some are located in the street, and some are located in both.
- Work on each vault will take ~3-4 weeks and work on each manhole will take ~2-3 days.
- Georgia Power will begin work on Monday, May 11 on the first vault, located between College Avenue and Jackson Street on the north side of Clayton Street (see image below).
- Next, they are expected to move to the south side in the same block. The process is expected to move from one side of the street to the other, one block at a time.
- Georgia Power crews plan to be on site from 7:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, weather permitting.
- Sidewalk restrictions, pedestrian rerouting, parking space closures, and lane restrictions/closures will take place to various levels depending on the vault/manhole location. No road closures are planned.
The streetscape contractor, Astra Group, will work with Georgia Power to make sure the sidewalks and streets are patched temporarily and are safe for use until the new streetscape is installed.
Once Georgia Power has finished a block, streetscape work is expected to begin in the area soon after. Currently, this timeframe appears to be in late June/early July, but is subject to change.
As work progresses, we will update the website and this newsletter, as well as contact businesses who are right next to vault / manhole work areas.