The Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) is upgrading to a new version of the Georgia Driver Record and Integrated Vehicle Enterprise System (DRIVES). This upgrade will keep the state up-to-date with the latest technology advances and will ensure access to the most recent enhancements and features of the software.
On Tuesday, January 12, 2021, the Athens-Clarke County Tag Office will close at 1:00 PM and remain closed through Monday, January 18 for the system upgrade and the MLK Day holiday. The Tag Office will re-open under normal operating hours on Tuesday, January 19 at 8:00 AM.
Implementation of the upgrade will also require the vehicle registrations and titling services, including e-Services, to be unavailable Wednesday, January 13 through Monday, January 18. Vehicle owners with renewal dates in January are encouraged to renew prior to January 13 to avoid delays.
What to expect:
- The ACC Tag Office will close at 1:00 PM on Tuesday, January 12 and remain closed through Monday, January 18.
- The Motor Vehicle Division will not be able to process transactions from January 13-18.
- All online motor vehicle related services, including online tag renewal services, will be offline January 13-18.
How will this impact Georgia customers and drivers?
- During the week of January 19-22, walk-in customers may also experience delays and longer than normal wait times. To avoid such delays, Georgia residents with January and February renewal dates are encouraged to renew prior to Tuesday, January 12 at 1:00 PM.
- Customers and dealers seeking to conduct any title transactions should complete their business at the tag office prior to Tuesday, January 12 at 1:00 PM.
- Dealers will be able to initiate electronic title and registration (ETR) transactions and issue temporary operating permits (TOPs) over MLK Day weekend.
- Law enforcement will still have access to motor vehicle records through a statewide backup file.
For more information, visit the Athens-Clarke County Tag Office website at www.accgov.com/tagoffice or call 706-613-3130.