Call for Public Art - Athens Pop-Up Park
- Call Summary
- Project Overview & Site Description
- Public Art Goals & Criteria
Athens Pop-Up Park is a new initiative by Leisure Services that will be used throughout the community to bring Leisure Services programming and other activities to the public. The Department has purchased a retired minibus from Athens Transit and will use this to visit neighborhoods, special events hosted by ACCGOV, and various festivals happening in Athens throughout the year. Additionally, the vehicle will offer passenger transport, public input initiatives, and Leisure Services Department tours.
Because art is such an integral part of Athens, the Leisure Services Department is seeking an artist or artists from the Athens or surrounding area to design a bus wrap that embodies the mission and goal of this program.
At the beginning of FY20, Leisure Services established a goal to proactively connect with the community by taking programs and services to residents. To date, this has included partnering with Gaines Elementary to revive their after school program, providing a family picnic at Pinewood Estates Mobile Home Community, providing outdoor movies, and gathering input at numerous community events.
In spring/summer 2020, the Leisure Services Department will begin a new mobile outreach program titled Athens Pop-Up Park. The official slogan is “Bringing the fun to you!” and will partner with other ACC departments and agencies to engage with residents and create safe, fun environments in their own neighborhoods. The goal of this program is to bring the creative and fun services of the Leisure Services Department to the public in their own neighborhoods.
A local sign company will wrap the vehicle using the art selected. Please see the attached template for specific measurements.
The Leisure Services Department is seeking an Athens-area artist(s) to create a conceptual design for the bus wrap. A committee within ACC Leisure Services department has established the following criteria for submission:
- Art must be original work created by the submitting artist(s)
- Final design must be formatted to .eps format (Adobe InDesign or Adobe Illustrator)
- The selected artist(s) must agree to work with the designated sign company on final file preparation.
The project is open to artists 18 years and older, who reside in Athens-Clarke County or surrounding counties. Experience in digital graphics is also preferred.
The selected artist will be paid $800. ACC Leisure Services will cover the cost of production and application of the design to the mini-bus.
- Application Deadline: Friday, June 5, 2020 at 11:59 p.m.
- Submission of a general design concept (additional examples of work can be helpful, but does not replace the concept)
- Committee will choose a final design based on scoring metric used by ACAC. Committee reserves the right to reopen the call for artists as they deem necessary.
- Committee will meet with the chosen artist(s) for one (1) round of revisions with any necessary changes.
- Artist(s) will provide a final design, based on revisions, in EPS format to Leisure Services and the sign company chosen to complete the work. The artist agrees to work with the sign company to ensure proper format that is needed for completion of the project.
- Selected artist(s) will receive payment once the final design has been submitted and approved.
Final Proposal Submissions:
All proposals must be submitted to Athens-Clarke County’s online system of calls for entry
The design will be selected by a panel consisting of Leisure Services staff and a representative of Athens Cultural Affairs Commission.
All of the following must accompany submission to be considered:
- Artist(s) contact information, including name(s), mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail. Please do not identify the artist(s) on the public art concept or description (including links to website and social media handles), so that the selection process is anonymous.
- Brief design description
- Illustration or rendering of concept art