25: East Side Public Library Project
Last Content Update:
ACCGov Seeks Public Input on Potential Sites for East Side Public Library by May 21
The Athens-Clarke County Unified Government (ACCGov) will host community feedback opportunities and an online survey for eight potential sites identified as possible locations for SPLOST 2020 Project 25: East Side Public Library.
Potential sites were evaluated by the SPLOST Site Selection Committee, a resident committee appointed by Mayor Kelly Girtz and chaired by District 8 Commissioner Carol Myers, and ranked based on the site selection criteria that was approved by the Mayor and Commission on November 1, 2022. The eight highest-scoring sites have been identified as potential sites for the facility.
The sites are:
- 1030 Barnett Shoals Road – undeveloped property owned by ACCGov
- 280 Gaines School Road – current location of the Clarke County School District’s Early Learning Center
- 2000 Barnett Shoals Road – current location of the Kroger / College Station shopping center
- 1935 Barnett Shoals Road – current location of the Green Acres shopping center
- 1065 Gaines School Road – current location of Covenant Presbyterian Church
- 1300 Cedar Shoals Drive – current location of Cedar Shoals High School
- 1934 Lexington Road – current location of Parker Family Furniture / Bulk ice
- 2555 Lexington Road – current location of ACCGov’s Landscape Management Division
Many of the proposed sites are large enough to allow co-location of the library with existing facilities and buildings.
Public open house meetings were held on:
- Saturday, May 6 from 2:00-4:00 PM at the Athens-Clarke County Library (2025 Baxter Street)
- Thursday, May 11 from 12:00-2:00 PM at Fire Station #7 (2350 S. Barnett Shoals Road)
- Thursday, May 11 from 5:00-7:00 PM at the East Athens Development Corporation (410 McKinley Drive Suite 101).
The public input opportunities on the Potential Sites has concluded and the results can be found at: https://www.accgov.com/DocumentCenter/View/92689/Public-Input-Results-on-Potential-Sites?bidId=
After public input on the potential sites, the SPLOST Site Selection Committee will bring the list of recommended candidate sites to the Mayor and Commission for final consideration in fall 2023. Substantial completion of the facility is expected by fall 2026.
This project will provide funding for land acquisition, design, construction, and/or equipping of a facility and/or renovations, improvements, additions to, and equipping of an existing facility for the purpose of extending library services to residents on the east side of Athens-Clarke County. The facility would be operated by the Athens Regional Library System.
Depending on costs and funding availability, the facility may include spaces such as meeting rooms, study rooms, a children’s area, a teen area, reading space, computer spaces, a creation space with digital and modern technology, innovative spaces and technology, and associated parking and general infrastructure to support the facility.
The current budgeted construction cost for the facility is $7.5 million. Changes to the budgeted items are likely depending on the purchase price for the site and the design and construction process.
For additional questions, contact the SPLOST Program Management Office at 706-613-3025 or email@example.com.
This project will provide funding for land acquisition, design, construction, and/or equipping of a facility and/or renovations, improvements, additions to, and equipping of an existing facility for the purpose of extending library services to county residents on the east side of Athens-Clarke County.
This annex facility would be a full-service library consistent with the level of resources and services provided at other similarly situated public libraries in the county. Depending upon costs and funding availability, the facility may include, but not be limited to, spaces such as meeting rooms, study rooms, children’s area, teen area, popular reading space, computer spaces, a creation space complete with digital and modern technology, innovative spaces and technology, and associated parking and general infrastructure to support the facility.
This project may also provide funding for the purchase of enhanced technology, access improvements for the disabled, and purchase of library resources for the Athens-Clarke County Libraries. Additionally, to the extent allowed by law, funds may be used as matching funds for leveraging grant opportunities.
|SPLOST 2020 Budget||
|Estimated Annual Operating Impact||