View our "Short-Film Guide" for information on the themes, links to royalty-free music, and find free editing software.
This contest is open to filmmakers in grades Pre-K-12 and levels of experience who reside or attend school in the state of Georgia.
- Film should emphasize how our actions can create a ripple effect and have consequences, both positive and negative, on our waters.
- The overarching theme is A Ripple Effect, with suggested storylines/themes as follows:
- Using Water Wisely - Your choice to use water wisely and encourage others to do the same protects our supply.
- Rivers Alive - We, and our entire ecosystem, depend on our rivers for life - how can you keep them clean?
- Imagine a Day Without Water - Protecting our public health, fire protection, and economic development depend on water. Can you imagine a day without it?
- Film should be engaging, fun, clever, and thought-provoking.
- Film must be rated G.
- Film must be at least 30 seconds and no more than 1 minute 30 seconds in length, including credits.
- Film must include 5 seconds of black screen both at the beginning and end, which will not count toward the film’s total running time.
- Film and the completed submission form must be submitted electronically using FilmFreeway.com.
- High-definition videos are strongly encouraged (1280x720 or 1920x1080). Suggested frame rates are 24fps (23.98) or 30fps (29.97).
- There is NO entry fee.
- Film must be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. on February 12, 2023.
- Include all filmmakers' names when submitting to FilmFreeway for inclusion in the festival guide.
Films are evaluated on 1) Strength of Message: content, encourages action or increases knowledge, 2) Originality: creativity and design, originality, 3) Artistic Expression: organization, techniques, and 4) Production Quality: sound and audio, video production, and lighting. Please refer to Ripple Effect Rubric for detailed criteria.
The finalists' films will be shown and the winning films announced at the "Ripple Effect Blue Carpet Premiere" tentatively scheduled for March 26, 2023. Winners will be awarded up to $1000 in prizes. Finalists will be featured on the Athens-Clarke County Water Conservation Office website and Lily Anne Phibian YouTube channel. All entries will receive free admission to the "Blue Carpet Premiere".