CHaRM (Center for Hard to Recycle Materials)
CHaRM Appointment Information
- Until further notice, ALL CHaRM customers must make an appointment BEFORE visiting the ACC CHaRM.
Landfill & CHaRM by appointment only. All other recycling drop sites are still open to the public at this time (no-charge).
Residential food scraps/compost drop off is also available at no-charge at ACC Solid Waste Department, outside the CHaRM Gates, and across from the scale house at the Landfill.
The Athens-Clarke County Center for Hard to Recycle Materials (CHaRM) is a one stop drop for items that can’t be recycled at the curb or at the ACC recycling drop-off sites due to their chemical composition, hazardous components, size, shape, etc.). These materials will be collected at the CHaRM for reuse, recycling and in rare cases, safe disposal.
$2/trip facility fee for businesses and residents of Athens-Clarke County
$5/trip facility fee for businesses and residents outside Athens-Clarke County
Proof of residency can include government-issued identification, student ID or utility bill.
Materials accepted at no additional cost:
- Automotive fluids (no fuel)
- Bags/wrap (plastic bags, stretch film, bubble wrap)
- Cell phones
- Clothing & textiles (sheets, pillows, cloth, etc.)
- Expired/used gift cards
- Fire extinguishers
- Golf balls
- Grease (used cooking grease/oil)
- Ink cartridges
- Mercury-containing devices
- Scrap metal
- Sharps/syringes (in a rigid plastic container)
- Shoes (wearable only)
- Shredded paper
- Styrofoam (#6 EPS) CLEAN, NO TAPE
- Tennis balls & canisters
- Teacher reuse store items
- U.S. flags for patriotic retirement at VFW
Five (5) gallon bucket of mixed material (including items listed below)- no charge
Additional fees apply, to cover processing costs:
- Batteries (all types; $0.36/pound*)
- Cleaners/chemicals/fertilizers ($5/gallon*)
- Computer & television monitors/screens ($5/each)
- Documents for shredding – ($2/ banker’s box)
- Light bulbs (approx. $0.50 each*)
- Mattresses & box springs ($10 each)
- Paint ($2/gallon*)
- Propane, helium, HVAC tanks (20-34#) ($5 each)
- Tires ($3.00/tire $10/tire if on rim)
*at staff discretion
Commercial CHaRM Customers:
- Must make an appointment with Household Hazardous Waste Supervisor at 706-296-7832 for delivery. Materials will be fee-based.
*All fees subject to change.
The first CHaRM in the United States was established in Boulder, Colorado and opened in 2001. A CHaRM (Center for Hard to Recycle Materials) is a one stop drop for items that can’t be recycled at the curb or at the Athens-Clarke County recycling drop-off sites because they are deemed "hard to recycle" due to their nature (chemical composition, hazardous components, size, distance to end-market, etc.). The ACC CHaRM opened in 2015 and is located at the old Solid Waste Department site at 1005 College Avenue.