The Housing and Community Development (HCD) department provides funding for the creation and rehabilitation of affordable housing, fosters and coordinates services for disadvantaged populations, and promotes economic mobility among residents of Athens-Clarke County.
The goals of the HCD are to:
- Provide accurate information, comprehensive research, and timely advice to the public, management, and staff in support of housing, economic development, and community development designed to foster positive community outcomes
- Increase affordable housing activity and production in Athens-Clarke County through an ongoing and continuously updated strategic planning process that will result in greater funding opportunities, better community awareness of all housing programs / services available and stronger public / private partnerships
- Help low- to moderate-income residents and the chronically unemployed overcome barriers to full-time regular employment
- Encourage the growth and establishment of the local small- to medium-sized businesses in order to encourage job creation
- Improve the public health and welfare of Athens-Clarke County residents
- Reduce homelessness in Athens-Clarke County