Ben Burton Park is a 32-acre wildlife preserve located off Mitchell Bridge Road. The park is the site of a former hydroelectric generating station built in 1896 and used until 1964. The site was donated to the county by Georgia Power in 1967. In October of 1971, the park was dedicated in honor of Ben W. Burton, Vice President of Georgia Power. A portion of the park is part of a streambank stabilization project intended to improve streambank health and decrease erosion.
Non-motorized small watercraft are allowed on the Middle Oconee River at Ben Burton Park. The boat launch provides access to the Middle Oconee River. Motorized vehicles are PROHIBITED at all times on the river. All Georgia Boating Regulations must be observed on the river. Learn more about boating from Ben Burton Park.
There are twenty-eight parking spaces available, including 3 handicap spaces
Open sunrise to sunset
Dogs must be on leash and under control at all times
Bicycles on paved paths only
Athens-Clarke County prohibits smoking at all times (Call 706 613-3345 to report violations)
Alcohol, camping & fireworks are prohibited
Fires allowed in approved grills only
Collection of plants and wildlife prohibited
No loud, offensive, or disruptive music, language or behavior
Vehicles subject to tow if in the park after hours or parked outside designated parking areas