- A chance for individuals of all abilities to participate in desired recreation and leisure activities.
- A positive and supportive environment of individuals who require adaptations or modifications for success in our programs.
- Opportunities for growth within areas of health and wellness.
- Community, recreation, and social integration.
- Increased leisure satisfaction and awareness.
- Improved quality of life.
Staff will be present to assist with facilitation and provide adaptions for skill development. If one-on-one supervision is needed, a parent/guardian or other caregiver should be present for the duration of the program. Adaptive programs are designed for individuals who require additional assistance or modification.
To ensure appropriate accommodations are met, participants in need of accommodations/adaptations must register at least two (2) weeks in advance of a class or program start date. Upon registration, individuals requesting modifications or auxiliary aids/services shall provide the program specialist for recreation accessibility with notice that they seek accommodations. The participant (or guardian) can do this by checking “YES” on the registration form stating that they require special accommodations. The accommodation notice allows Athens-Clarke County Leisure Services Department time to evaluate and find the appropriate assistance.
Participant Information Forms will be sent to participants/guardians to ensure diligence of accommodations, safety, and effectiveness of program design. These forms must be completed before aide assignments and/or modifications can be implemented and prior to participation in any adaptive programs. Ongoing communication with staff and the participant’s family members is encouraged.
Athens-Clarke County Leisure Services is proud to participate in Special Olympics of Georgia. ACCLS is accredited under Special Olympics of Georgia and will compete in bowling in Summer 2019. To get involved, learn more HERE.
Leisure Services Department's Therapeutic Recreation program forms:
- ACC Leisure Services Department Attendance Agreement
- ACC Leisure Services Department Code of Conduct
- ACC Leisure Services Department Program Modification Parameters
- ACC Leisure Services Department Therapeutic Recreation Programs Participant Information Form