Building Permits & Inspections
The Department will be open with limited operations until further notice. The building lobby will partially be open to the public.
- 120 Governmental Building lobby hours are from 8:00 am - Noon, Monday - Friday.
- The office staff will still be available to answer questions by phone and by email during regular business hours of 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Inspections will be conducted each day. There may be some delays due to change in staff operations.
- Please contact our office before arriving at the building at 706-613-3520..
- Permit applications may be dropped off and issued permits can be picked up at our front counter or in the lobby area between the hours of 8:00am - Noon, Monday - Friday or you can use our dropbox located left of the front doors.
- **Please do not leave cash or checks with permits in the drop-off tray without notifying our office first.**
- We will accept permit applications and water & sewer applications by email or fax. Permit applications may also be mailed to our office.
- Please submit applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax to 706-613-3527.
- Our mailing address is: Athens-Clarke County Building Inspections Dept., 120 W Dougherty St, Athens, GA 30601
- Permit applications may be filled in and downloaded from our website.
- You will be notified when your permit has been processed and how to make payment of the permit fees. We accept check, money order or credit card as forms of payment.
- Processing of building permits may take up to 2 days or more due to change in office operations.
- Water & sewer fees and temporary hydrant meter fees must be paid by check, money order, or cash only.
For general questions and information, please contact our office at 706-613-3520 or email us at email@example.com
These measures are being taken to ensure the safety of the public and our employees by following the Governor's State of Georgia and Athens-Clarke Co Executive Orders and CDC "Social Distancing" guidelines.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
We will alert the public in the event of changes to our operating hours, permitting and inspection scheduling as soon as information is available.
The Athens-Clarke County Building Permits and Inspections Department exists for the purpose of protecting the public’s health, safety, and general welfare. We accomplish this by ensuring compliance with adopted codes that regulate:
- Structural strength
- Fire safety and other hazards associated with construction, alteration, removal, demolition, use or occupancy of buildings, structures, or property
As of July 1, 2008, a license from the state of Georgia is required to practice contracting in the state for work costing $2,500 or more. Licenses are available in Residential - Basic Contractor, Residential - Light Commercial Contractor, and General Contractor categories. For more information, visit the Georgia Secretary of State website or call